Sunday, June 3, 2007

A change in lifestyle

It is very hard to adjust when change is forced on us unexpectedly, be it in the form of a sudden serious illness, a divorce, a death of a loved one or a major change in one's financial circumstances.

We are generally happy to be in our comfort zone, especially because we are fearful of change and what that may mean to our current predictable lives. We are less likely to want change when we are content and at best very happy. However if we do not feel we are progressing in our life goals then if we have the courage, we should try and make that change. Otherwise it is just a matter of living, in a resigned state, one which many people choose, hoping life would get better without making a conscious effort to change the status quo. It is more difficult to make the change when one has a family, a good job and a mortgage to pay and commitments to fulfil.

I was extremely fortunate, which people constantly remind me, that I did not have these commitments, so I was more free to take the plunge. I did not know and still do not know what to expect in the future, but on balance life has been good to me to date considering my starting point and what I have achived to date. I still face the unexpected more than the expected. I still have not settled into a comfort zone in my new life so the journey has only begun, and in reality it has been two and a half years at the end of May 2007.

No comments: